Our energy expert

How to handle your energy suppliers when moving home

There are four things that you should do in respect of your gas and electricity supply, when moving home.

  • Notify your existing gas and electricity suppliers that you are moving, and arrange for a final meter reading to be taken. You will need to give your supplier(s) at least 48 hours advance notice that you are moving. The final meter reading will be used to calculate your final bill.
  • Find out who supplies your new home with gas and electricity. You can do this by asking the previous owners or tenants, or your landlord or letting agency. Alternatively, your can find out who supplies gas to your new home by contacting the Meter Number Helpline on 0870 608 1524. To find out who supplies electricity to your new home, contact your local electricity distribution company - you can get their phone number from directory enquiries, or by using our MPAS page.
  • Once you have these details, use TheEnergyShop calculator find the best deal for you at your new property. Sign up for a competitive deal to ensure that you start saving from the moment you move in.
  • When you move into your new home, take a note of the opening meter readings and contact your new supplier with this information. These will be used to calculate your first utility bills

What happens if I forget to notify my supplier that I am moving?

If you do not tell your supplier that you are moving, you may be liable for the bills at your old address. You could be liable until the earlier of 2 days after you notify your supplier that you have moved, or the date that the meter at your old address is next read, or the date the new occupier(s) enter into a contract with a supplier for the supply at the old property.

What happens if I do not sign up to a new contract at my new home?

Unless you have arranged for a new supply at your new address, the previous occupant's supplier will automatically provide you with a supply under a 'deemed' contract. You will, by default be placed on a 'deemed tariff' with that supplier, which is either their standard credit rate or a specially inflated tariff which could be 30% more expensive than that supplier's most competitive offer. It is very much in your own interests to ensure that this does not happen, as you will end up over-paying for your energy when you move home.

What should I do if I am on a deemed contract?

If you are on one of these, you want to be off it as soon as you possibly can. Find yourself a better deal, sign up, and start saving. Start your energy price comparison with us and start saving today.

Anything else?

Keep a note of meter readings and the dates on which they were taken, for both your old and new properties, in case you do not agree with your bills.

If you are feeling helpful, tell the people moving into your old home the name of the gas and electricity supplier to your old property. If you can, also provide them with the property's Gas and Electricity Meter Numbers. This will help them switch to a cheaper energy deal and prevent them over-paying for their energy when they move in.

Help! I have found a prepayment meter

Prepayment meters are typically the most expensive way of getting your gas and electricity, and the choice of tariffs to choose from is still limited. Contact the current supplier for advice on having these meters replaced with standard 'credit'-type meters. There may be a charge for this.

Compare Energy Prices. Switch & Save up to £232!

You may also be interested in:

Ofgem Confidence Code
Fully accredited by Ofgem since 2003