Start a Comparison

Meters, Metering and Meter Numbers!

What kind of electricity meter do I have?

There are 3 main types of electricity meter. A single rate meter (which is the most common) for users of standard rate electricity; a multi-rate meter, which allows you to take advantage of cheap-rate electricity at off-peak times such as at night (for example, Economy 7), and a pre-payment meter, where you pay for the gas or electricity that you use in advance, by means of a token, prepayment card, electronic key or coins. The type of meter at your property will determine what type of electricity tariff you can apply for.

Will my meters change if I switch energy suppliers?

No. Your meters will not be changed in any way when you change supplier unless you request them to be.

Who reads the meter when I change gas and electricity supplier?

That depends on your new supplier. Your new energy supplier will either arrange for someone to come and read your meter, or may ask you to take the meter reading yourself. We recommend that you keep a note of the reading to ensure that you agree with the final bill from your old supplier when it arrives.

Gas meter number (MPRN)- what is it, and where do I find it?

The gas meter number is a unique number that identifies the gas meter at your property. It is sometimes also referred to as the MPRN (Meter Point Reference Number) or 'M' number for short. On your bills it should look like this

The number is 8 to 10 digits long and can be found on your gas bill. If you cannot find your M number, you can obtain it by calling either your current supplier, or the National Grid Meter Number Helpline on 0870 608 1524. On your bill it should look something like this

Please also refer to our Guide Section

Supply Number (MPAN) - what is it, and where do I find it?

The supply number is a unique number that identifies the electricity meter at your property. It is sometimes also referred to as the MPAN (Meter Point Administration Number) or 'S' number for short. The supply number contains important information required by your new supplier.

The number is typically 21 digits long and can be found on your electricity bill. If you cannot find your S number, you should contact your current electricity supplier who will be able to help you. Alternatively, you can take a look at our MPAS information.

What does my supply number look like? What information does it contain?

The S stands for supply. The top line contains information about whether you are a domestic or business customer, and the type of meter you have; standard rate or Economy 7. This line will change as your supply details change. The bottom line contains information about the local electricity distribution company that maintains the cables and wires carrying electricity into your home, and a unique reference number that identifies the meter in your property. This information never changes.

Can I change my Meter?

Yes you can. You might want to change your meter if you want to take advantage of different types of tariff, such as moving from a prepayment meter to a single-rate meter or, for electricity customers, to an Economy 7 meter. To do this you will need to contact your existing supplier who will arrange it for you. Please note that your supplier may charge you for this service. Once you have changed meter, TheEnergyShop calculator will be able to find you the best deal for the meter type that you have.

Can I have my meter moved?

Yes you can. If you want to move your meter please contact your supplier. You will probably be charged for this service unless you are a disabled person and cannot access the meter,in which case it should be free.

What if my meter is not measuring my energy consumption correctly?

If you think there is a problem with your meter rather than your bill (which could be an estimate), you should first contact your supplier. They will be able to test your meter to ensure that it is working properly. If you are still concerned about the meter's accuracy you should direct your enquiry to Consumer Focus who should be able to offer you advice on how to resolve the matter. Once the meter has been checked, if it is shown that you have been overcharged, your supplier will have to repay what you are owed. If, however, the meter test shows that you have been undercharged, the supplier has the right to charge for the extra energy that you have used.